"All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on."

Henry Ellis

August 10, 2007

Religion

My family has never been religious. No we are not athiests! I have a remembrance of Sunday School, my grandparents would take us when we visited. I really do believe in a higher being, I'm just not sure what that is. I have had a strong dose lately and it has made me start thinking...
I belong to a wonderful forum NMOL(navy mom's online)the link is on sidebar, and they have posts that mom's ask for your prayers. I never post since I don't really pray... I have a son in the military and people always say, "I will pray for him", and I thank them. Well shouldn't I be praying for my own son? My brother and sister-in-law just had twins and they made me a godparent, my first words were I'm not Catholic. SIL said well your Christian aren't you,(I was baptized during one of the visits with GP), so technically sure... I had to take a class before they would even let me be a witness, talk about second class citizen. I have no idea what I would say to my niece and nephew if they wanted to talk about religion.

So as part of my need to find a new life I decided to interview some religions, OK not interview, but visit. My wish list is that I don't have to confess anything, that they have plenty of beautiful uplifting music, I can dress casually for services (I have to dress up during the week), that they don't lecture, but inform. I don't think that is much to ask for. Let me know if anyone has a great type of church or a specific religion that I might enjoy.

2 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I have been by your blog a couple of times today and gotten sidetracked rather than leaving a comment, but I wanted to say that your blog is off to a good start.

It is funny how life changes - different seasons. Our kids grow up and leave us to find new things to do with our time. This computer takes up lots of my time. I am willing to spend $5.00 on a cup of coffee. I will pray for your son because I am "religious". I am also a Soldiers' Angel. Good luck with your quest to find a new life - you seem to have a great outlook.

Shelly said...

Bag blog,
Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate the great feedback. What you Soliers' Angels do is remarkable.

Shelly