"All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on."

Henry Ellis

August 25, 2007

Conversations you wish you had

Do you ever have a dress rehearsal conversation in your head with someone before you actually have the real conversation? Well I do this all the time, better then talking out loud to myself. Well I had one on my way home last night with My Geek. I had it all worked out in my head so when I got home I started the conversation...

"Have you decided if we are going or not", I said.
"You don't seem to want to go", he said.
"It's not that I don't want to go, I just don't want to go and hang out with a bunch of people drinking until they are inebriated", I said.
"We will leave if that starts to happen", he said.
"No we won't, we never do. One of us always has to drive someone home", I said.
(here is where the conversation in the head didn't match the real conversation)
"Lets go, I promise we will leave if it starts to head in that direction", he said.

I reluctantly agree to go. It is a group of his college friends and their wife's or girlfriends. We don't see them very often, but it seems when they get together they think they are still in college..
Well this morning, I was right, it went to hell, I spent most of the morning cleaning out my car because one of the women puked in it. Next time I am going to skip the real conversation, and tell him that I already talked to him, and we decided not to go. I would rather him think I'm crazy then do this again.

6 comments:

.... said...

Funny you should post this....I have a voice mail that I have not checked, because I already know how the conversation is going to go.....and I believe the term most use is "from bad, to worse" and I have had the conversation 10 different ways in my head and none of them turn out well....so I think when it finally comes down to speaking to them, I am going to borrow your answer, if you don't mind and tell them that "I already had this conversation with you, and you lost"

~nothing but sunshine and rainbows :}

.... said...

....and um, I agree with you about the next time. Just say NO!

Bag Blog said...

When I realize the conversation in my head is going negative - I try to turn my thoughts somewhere else. As to the party of drinkers, it is time to change the way things are done - say no. I was glad when we finally realized we did not have to deal with that or live like that.

Shelly said...

I think we all agree on the just say no. My husband and I don't drink like that.. Don't get me wrong I love a good glass of wine, but not to excess. I'm not even having a discussion with myself or him, I'm just saying NO...

Shelly

Anonymous said...

Ick! Damn, I hate cleaning up other people's messes

Shelly said...

unkawill,
Glad to see ya posting...Car still smells..

Shelly