"All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on."

Henry Ellis

August 8, 2007

The Kid part 1

I should probably talk about "THE KID" so you understand why I need to get a life. I have a 21yr old son who joined the Navy in March 2007. I knew this was coming, but I wasn't prepared for his leaving. College was a piece of cake compared to this. He had always wanted to join the Navy, but promised me 4 years of college first. He played competitive soccer and had a scholarship to a Division II School, so I thought great, he'll play soccer, get a college education, find a great job, get married, and give me grand kids... Ok so that was my dream. Well he barely gave me 2 years came home at break and said he wasn't going back and was ready to join the Navy. We talked, we argued, I tried to reason with him to no avail..I finally realized that this is what he wanted and I needed to support him in his decision. He also said the most incredible thing to me when I asked him if he really understood what he was getting himself into. He said "Mom, I understand the danger, I know you will be worried, but I need to do this. Don't you think it's time that someone in our family serves our country, we owe it that much." I am in awe of this kid.. So he went to the recruiter, wouldn't let me go, signed up, gave himself a few months to get in shape, and left for boot camp. Stay tuned for part 2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure one of the hardest things in life is watching your children move onto the next stage of their lives (without you). I hope they will be strong, brave and do it with pride (like your Kid :)). You should be VERY PROUD!!!!

Shelly said...

Thanks for not making me look like a loser without comments. I know you will do the same when yours gets to that stage..