"All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on."

Henry Ellis

September 8, 2007

Military Spouse

As you all know I am a blog whore. I enjoy reading many different blogs. I seem to gravitate more towards the military blogs recently and it seems that most of the women I am reading lately are Military Spouses. (I don't know why there are not more military mom's or dads that have blogs..MMmmm...) I am always interested in how they cope during deployments, R&R, and least we forget the moving. Before The Kid joined the Navy, to be honest I don't think I really gave it much thought, I don't know anyone personally that has a husband deployed. I have my husband at home every night, he takes out the trash, we are able to eat dinner with each other, he is my companion, I depend on him to be there... I can't put myself in their shoes, I really don't know how they do what they do, add in the mix most of them have children, pets, and homes that a large percent of the time they are in charge of by themselves. I want to thank all of you for opening my eyes to what I have, I stop myself when I am irritated at My Geek, and am thankful that he is here physically to irritate me... To all of you military husbands, you are married to a group of women that are very strong, multitasking, flexible, and forgiving wonder women.. You should be thanking your lucky stars....

13 comments:

.... said...

I am going to show my husband your blog when he comes home....a nice reminder can't hurt, ;D

Thanks for saying those wonderful things...I'm glad that you are able to take something away from our lives, there are really some remarkable military women out there...

My husband tells me how lucky he is...he shows me how he feels too....I do miss him being here to irritate me and when he's home I try to remember that, that too can change at any minute....the deployments have really changed our perspective on life.....we don't sweat the small stuff anymore!

~smiles

Anonymous said...

As a military spouse, I really appreciated your last post. My girlfriends often say similar things, and note that they rarely thought about the spouses and children left home when servicemen and women are deployed until I married a Marine. When he was in Iraq right after we were married, it made us all realize how much sacrificing the families of our military members really do on a daily basis.

Now that we have a baby, my husband and I worry more about the next inevitable deployment, but none of that fear or loneliness takes away from the pride I have for what he does.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Karen said...

I think some of the military moms just aren't computer savy. However, this is one Army Mom who is. I enjoy reading your posts and will continuue. Take care.

Susan said...

I'm saving your post for my husband too ;) but I think he already knows how tough it can be since he thanks me almost every time we talk.
What keeps me going is the thought that it's "temporary". I think this deployment is strengthening our relationship, and it was pretty strong to begin with.
I enjoy reading you blog, and like you, I don't "know anyone personally that has a husband deployed" either. (except myself, of course)

Shelly said...

a soldier's wife,
Thank you for reminding me of what I have...

Shelly

Shelly said...

Smayzie,
Your welcome, congratulations on the baby!!! Thanks for stopping by.
Shelly

Shelly said...

Karen,
Thanks for stopping by, you are probably right .LOL

Shelly

Shelly said...

triplee,

I am glad that your husband appreciates what you do and go through. I enjoy reading you also..

Shelly

Mrs H said...

I often have many people asking me how I deal with Rob being gone. My answer is simple, I have two choices to make it through whatever is thrown our way, or to not. I've never really been a quitter in anything, so I dang sure ain't quitting this(don't get me wrong, there are many times when I want to).

Its not easy having a husband deployed, there is Murphy's law of deployment. Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. It never fails, everything can be going fine, but the minute he leaves for training or deployments it seems everything breaks.

I decided to start my blog to give people an insight to what it likes being married to a military man. So many people out there don't really know or understand what we, as military spouses, really go through.

I really admire that you have taken something away from the lives of military spouses.

I enjoy reading other military blogs as well, no two families typically have the same experiences when it comes to the military.

Bag Blog said...

I have been in awe of military spouses for a long time. They are a specail breed of women - like pioneers who just do what has to be done. My hat is off to you wives and mothers.

CShack said...

Well a little bit of insanity and a lot of sarcasm helps me get through. I am crazy enough to be endearing, but not scary! :p

Oh there are many nights that I hold my husband's pillow and dream about him being here. I know that we will be separated a lot over the next couple of years. It's hard. It's a burden, but I know he is doing what he needs to do.

Shelly said...

proud wife of Sgt H,
Well then it is working. I have learned alot about the military lifestyle from you military wifes. Thanks for blogging and keeping us informed.
Shelly

Shelly said...

Claire,
You really amaze me, not only a husband but your son serving. I'm surprised you keep it together.. Oh and don't forget the pirate...

Shelly