"All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on."

Henry Ellis

September 16, 2007

The abandoned monkey who has found love with a pigeon


They're an odd couple in every sense but a monkey and a pigeon have become inseparable at an animal sanctuary in China.
The 12-week-old macaque - who was abandoned by his mother - was close to death when it was rescued on Neilingding Island, in Goangdong Province.
After being taken to an animal hospital his health began to improve but he seemed spiritless - until he developed a friendship with a white pigeon.
Scroll down for more...

The macaque nestles his head against his feathered friend

The blossoming relationship helped to revive the macaque who has developed a new lease of life, say staff at the sanctuary.
Now the unlikely duo are never far from each other's side, but they aren't the only ones to strike up an unusual friendship.
Earlier this year a pig adopted a tiger cub and raised him along with her piglets because his mother couldn't feed him.
And in 2005 a baby dear named Mi-Lu befriended lurcher Geoffrey at the Knowsley Animal Park in Merseyside after she was rejected by her mother.



I found this article on stumbleupon, not sure where it came from. I love the story and the concept. Love comes in many shapes, sizes and color. We just need to be tolerant enough to accept it and them..

4 comments:

.... said...

What a sweet story.....I guess mankind could learn alot from other species, huh? I sent the photo to one of my daughter's who I have called "my little monkey" since she was a baby.....she will really appreciate both the photo and the story. Thanks for sharing it Shelly...stumble upon stories are often the most touching!

~ASW

Shelly said...

ASW,
Hope your daughter enjoys it, I made the picture my screen saver..
Shelly

Write Before Sleep said...

Shelly:

You have ruined my life. I spent WAY too much time on my laptop BEFORE Stumbleon --- now I'm doomed to spend the rest of my life stumbling on really cool things!

ArmyMomx3 (Jo Ann)

Shelly said...

JoAnn,
I warned that it is addicting. I spent an hour this evening.. Found some cool stuff.