"All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on."

Henry Ellis

November 6, 2007

Military Mom Thoughts

I am having those Military Mom thoughts lately. I know, "get a life lady!!" I'm trying, see the blog title....

I'm sure the thoughts are brought on by The Kid's graduation from SWCC at the end of the month. They are of course the Oh Shi* thoughts, and the crying jag thoughts, and the proud moment thoughts.

The Kid is now talking about where he will be stationed (not my first choice, but it has the best boats, and the job he wants), so then my thoughts are those deployment thoughts... See what I mean about the thoughts...

I was watching a video on SWCC training that The Kid sent me, and it stated that he will have traveled 3,200 nautical miles, 900 of them at night, shot 10,700 rounds of ammunition, ran 400 miles, swam 100 miles, and will have done 20,000 push-ups. I am exhausted just writing it. I asked him about it, and his comment was, "how F*** cool is that Mom and I got paid to do it!". I then said, hey your still talking to your Mom, watch the mouth..

I was also talking to him about the Holidays, and his Birthday is in December.. Before he would want the typical stuff, clothes, video games.. Nope not this year, he wants a gun. Can you say Visa gift card anyone!!! As I have said before life with him will never be the same..

Well here is wishing all you other Military Parents and Spouses HAPPY THOUGHTS!!

Also note some new favorite clicks, the very cute USO Girls, the Navy Dad Requiem, and another Military Dad, This War and Me

8 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Aren't kids just the most amazing things? Never a dull moment!

I have been reading This War and Me along with www.sgtgrumpy.blogspot.com Good stuff.

Bag Blog said...

I just came from Requiem where the young man used the F-word many times. As a mother, I wanted to say "watch your language" but then I'm not his mother. It is his blog. No one should have to watch their language on their own blog, right? Still...

Shelly said...

Lou,
I agree he likes the four letter words...I'm guessing his mom doesn't read his blog...

Buck said...

"Retraining," where language is concerned, is often the first order of the day after one gets back from a deployment of any length.

Ask me how I know. ;-)

CShack said...

Oh boy... the thoughts! I wish you were near by. I would pour you a strong one and let you just spill it all out!

Mike does not cuss around me, but he has let one slip before... he was very embarrassed. Shoot, my husband even lets a few slip now, and I swear that he never cussed at all until he joined. They both tell me that you can't just say a sentence to someone.... they will never understand a word of it until you throw the "f" word in there 4 or 5 times. lol

Shelly said...

Buck and Claire,
Can you say dove? LOL

~Justin said...

Oi! I've come here through a comment you posted to my own blog...

and, oops! It seems I've attracted some wonder -- if not casual disapproval -- for the language I've used in (at least) one of my posts.

Sincerely, I'm sorry. But that's the way it is for me, recounting a story. Of course, I try to know my audience in The Real World, but in our little blog-o-sphere I rather like being able to write as I speak. And the truth is: I say the f-word. Some times, a lot. (Depends.) Especially when confronted with a paucity of batteries. (It had been a terribly long day.)

If it is any consolation, Mom doesn't read. But if she did, I'm absolutely confident that she wouldn't mind so much. The little f-bombs in my mind don't carry over to the way I address her or any other loved one. There is often a clear distinction between a soldier's life deployed and the much more civil environment of Home.

Shelly said...

Hey Justin,
I'm truly impressed with the way you express yourself, F-bombs and all. I am enjoying your blog. As you read I understand the military ling. It is just a mom thing. It won't stop me reading your blog regularly...